Loading
A castle fortress

Our history

The essence of a castle lies not in its size or in its beauty, but in its resilience. Sibberhuuske was originally a castle fortress, a fortified house with thick walls, loopholes, a moat with a drawbridge, and two towers. In present time - even though itinerant gangs are no longer to be feared by the local lord and the huge difference between peasants, dignitary and nobility in the area has disappeared - Sibberhuuske did not loose its original character.

  • 50 BC

    Over 2000 years of history

    The current province of Limburg part of the Roman Empire for at least four centuries. Conquered by Julius Caesar around 50 BC it was the Emperor Augustus who officially declared the region as a new province of Rome. Due to its strategic location on a hill and the presence of water, Sibberhuuske's site was most likely to be of key importance.

  • 1381

    First written records

    Sibberhuuske was one of the first ‘rises’ on the plateau of Margraten. One thing we do know for sure is that the first written record of what was then a 'rise' was mentioned in 1381. This also means that the swelling - a shelter - is even older. The south - eastern corner of Sibberhuuske is the oldest part. This is where the Tower apartment is situated. In the courtyard, the original well is 75 meters deep and still holds water.

  • 1570

    At war with the Spaniards

    Dutch War of Independence (1568–1648) was a revolt of the Seventeen Provinces against the political and religious hegemony of Philip II of Spain, the sovereign of the Habsburg Netherlands. The castle played a role in this war, since it was confiscated in 1570 by the Spanish General Alva.

  • 1935

    Fire!

    Flames demolished the farm between the Great War and World War II but fortunately the main house was saved.

  • 1974

    Extensive renovations

    Three years of hard labour led to the current layout of Sibberhuuske